3D Medical Animation: Areas of Application
Medical animation is an instructional or training tool used by the wide audience such as healthcare professionals, patients, students, etc. It is prepared as a short educational film or video that explains the health topics and complex medical processes more easily and effectively such as the origin of the disease, how a drug works in the body and improves the symptoms. In 2016, it was reported that the global market size of medical animation was worth 118.5 million, which is steadily growing with each passing year.
From all types of medical animations, 3D medical animation is a dominating part due to its obvious advantages such as effective healthcare communication, makes the characters or things look real and able to create, animate anything beyond imagination, and its ease of availability and accessibility. As the digitalization is growing in the future, it is also expected that the usage for 3D medical animation will also increase.
Application of 3D Medical Animation
The following are some areas where 3D medical animation can help:
- Explaining the action of medicine inside the body: 3D medical animation helps to explain the action of medicines when they go inside the human body, which can further help pharmaceutical companies to promote their healthcare products. Therefore, 3D medical animation is a new and really effective marketing tool for these pharmaceutical companies.
- Medical devices: As the usage of medical devices (like a tool to check glucose, blood pressure monitoring machine, ECG monitor, ultrasound machine, etc) needs an instruction manual, it still becomes difficult to understand the usage by the general population who are without any medical background. Here, 3D medical animation can provide effective usage instructions in simple visuals and can also act as marketing as well as a premarketing tool.
- Educating Patients: Before consulting a doctor, especially for a surgical procedure, every patient has hesitation to talk flexibly to the doctor. In that case, 3D medical animation has a wider application in educating patients for surgical exposure. Animations can best express the information which even doctors are unable to make the patient understand.
- Convey information on a microscopic scale: There are some processes of the human body which are really fast and eyes cannot catch specific elements. Animations can move to the microscopic or really minute levels and make the audience understand the topic. It can also express the events in slow motion with better details.
- Raising Awareness Levels: Rising occurrence of deadly diseases such as cancer makes the patient eager to get effective treatment even in the situation of unavailability of such treatment. This occurs due to the lack of communication and awareness about the disease. 3D animation helps to understand the exact mechanisms of the body related to diseases.
In another scenario, the videos developed through 3D medical animation can help to increase the awareness of the patients about taking precautions in certain diseases (oral diseases, allergic diseases, sexually transmitted diseases, etc.), development of health plans, initiation of a clinical study for a specific disease, etc.
Simplify the complex information: As general human psychology, visual information is an easy and preferred way to memorize than the textual information. This is especially useful when it comes to complex medical topics, as explained above.
As observed from the usage of web browsers, most of the people look for videos instead of reading the text. In response, pharmaceutical companies are investing in preparing 3D animated videos to gain interest and trust of people in their products. Looking at the vast applications of 3D medical animation, the pharmaceutical sector can achieve major growth in the coming years, and the general audience can get the maximum benefit from it.